A periodontist is a dentist who specializes in the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of periodontal (gum) disease. For periodontal care in Miami, look for a dentist that is also trained as a periodontist. Gum disease is one of the most common oral diseases among Americans, and should be treated swiftly and seriously, as gum disease can damage the teeth and jaw if left untreated.
Why is Rivas Dental Care the local periodontist Miami chooses?
Periodontal disease should not be taken lightly, and our dentists have more than 20 years of experience in Miami alone practicing periodontal and dental medicine. By choosing a professional with periodontal training and experience, you are taking the most important step toward preventative care for your gums and teeth. Contact us today to find out why Rivas Dental Care is the periodontist Miami trusts for the best gum health.
Risk Factors for Periodontal Disease Include:
- Smoking — Smoking is not only the most significant risk factor for gum disease, but it also lowers the success rate of periodontal treatments.
- Hormonal Changes in Girls/Women — Hormonal changes make gums more sensitive, making them more susceptible to gingivitis.
- Diabetes — Individuals with diabetes are at higher risk for infections, including periodontal infections.
- Other Illnesses and Treatments — Autoimmune diseases and treatments for diseases such as AIDS and cancers can put a person at higher risk for periodontal diseases.
- Medications — Many over-the-counter and prescription medications reduce the production of saliva, which is the body’s natural lubricant and cleanser for the mouth. Without enough saliva the mouth is vulnerable to infections and it’s harder to keep clean to avoid other issues with teeth and gums.
- Genetics — Some people are prone to severe gum disease. This is something that can be caught by keeping up with regular preventative care with your family dentist.